Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chapter 4

Hot Bubblegum by SoapyMayhem

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



0. . . oO•.o.Hot Bubblegum.o.•Oo . . .0
Chapter 4
*~Bella Swan~*

Red gave me the address and her card before I left.

After putting my hat and glasses back on, I jogged across the street and hopped into my car, feeling a thrill of anticipation shoot through me.

The idea of having my own place was all I could think about for the last few months. Having Renee and Phil constantly hovering around me, making all my decisions, controlling my money - it was just too much. I was ready to take a break, be by myself, make some choices of my own.

Excitedly, I reached into my purse and pulled out a slightly crumpled sheet of sketch paper. Fingering the worn edge, I thought about all the amazing sketches my dad used to do. All the little characters he created just for me. My favorite had always been Super Izzy - a superhero he drew in my likeness. He gave her long, brown hair, a dark red cape, red spandex suit under a pleated black skirt, and a black utility belt. Across her chest, she had a black swan emblem, kind of like the bat on Batman's suit.

Charlie, my dad, died about ten years ago. He was a pretty well respected cartoonist and had been shopping the idea around for his Super Izzy animated series to a few studios in the weeks leading up to his death.

Super Izzy never saw the light of day, though, because Dad was killed in a car accident on his way home from work one night.

Dad was my world, and I wanted more than anything to put Super Izzy out there for people to enjoy, to have Dad's dream come true, but as much as I hated to admit it, there was no way anyone would take a seven year old kid seriously. I couldn't draw a convincing stick figure, much less pitch an animated series to a studio. That was when I decided I was going to make a name for myself, make people take me seriously, and acting seemed to be the one thing I could do that had the potential to solve all my problems.

By the time I was twelve, I was doing the odd commercial and even had a seven-episode story arc on a popular daytime soap where I played the long-lost-daughter of one of the show's stars, but I was still just a kid - a nobody, no closer to achieving my goal than I was when I started.

Mere months after being cast, they ended up killing my character off when the ratings came through and people thought having a kid around made the guy less of a stud.

I was a little devastated because I really had enjoyed the working on the show, but feeling like I'd failed Dad was much worse, and only served as a reminder that I wasn't getting anywhere with my goal. Renee, however, got so pissed about what happened that she went and found me a new agent.

That was when we met Phil.

Immediately, he put me to work, started booking me for small guest appearances on kid's shows, which I adored, and those roles opened the doors for me to audition for Girl Next Door - a show about a girl who was a regular kid by day and a crime-fighting superhero by night.

Of course, I knew the show wouldn't really be Super Izzy, but it was the closest thing I could get to making that dream come true.

I was determined to get that part no matter the cost.

Now that my time on the show had come to an end and I was a legal adult, I wanted to keep a part of that dream with me forever.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment